Wellington Land District Surveyor Fieldbook No.2246 p28 Drawing by H. Richardson 1900 - https://linz.recollect.co.nz/
In 1919 The Mata cheese factory was built opposite a disused creamery building that was operated by the New Zealand Dairy Union from about 1899. The old creamery was later used as part of the first grocery store.

The factory site was about 200 yards from the confluence of Black River with Wainuiomata River on about one and half acres (Deposited Plan 4685). The land was transferred from David Dick (1848-1929) to the Mata Co-operative Dairy Company on 21 Jun 1920.


Plan from LINZ Certificate of Title Vol 364 p5 (1926)
Land over time: Mata Cheese Factory Wainuiomata 1839-NZCoLO-10611853-CG-881858-DR-v1p6181863-Map1872-Map1880s-Ph-Williams1882-FB-8911894-DR-v113p971895-CT-v76p1501900-FB-22461919-Ph-Jenkins1928-Map1940-Ph-Todd1941-Ph-Aerial1942-Ph-Aerial1944-Ph-Museum1954-Ph-Aerial1961-Ph-Aerial1969-Ph-Aerial1974-Ph-Aerial1980-Ph-Aerial1983-Ph-Alexander1984-Ph-Foster1984-Ph-Todd1984-Ph-Foster1988-Ph-Aerial1995-Ph-Aerial